Friday, October 1, 2010

Links for the Week

Some links for your viewing pleasure as the weekend comes at just the right time for us all...

Vin Scully is my favorite announcer in sports, and Joe Posnanski is my favorite writer period, and this piece still turned out far better than I could have imagined.

Brett Favre needs to ask Jim Thome how to handle being a 40-year-old athlete.

If you enjoy Joe Posnanski, and I make it no secret that I enjoy reading him quite a bit, check out why he compared Nolan Ryan and Ichiro.

Daunte Culpepper threw for almost 400 yards and Denny Green got his first win of the season... in the UFL. This is some kind of pseudo-2003 world we're all living and none of us realize it yet.

Ron Wright is a modern day Moonlight Graham, except Wright got to play in one game. He proceeded to hit into a triple play, a double play and striking out in 3 at bats, going 0-3 and after being so efficiently bad (He committed 6 outs on 9 pitches) he never got another shot.

I appreciate what the FBI does and understand there is always more to the story than is let on, but one of the women raided in this article was my 12th grade Government teacher. I highly doubt she's a terrorist in her free time.

Evan Longoria and David Price spoke out against their fans (or lack thereof) the other day, after an announced crowd of just over 10,000 people showed up when the Rays had a chance to clinch a playoff birth. It's time to move that team somewhere else, Florida simply doesn't deserve any professional baseball teams. The Marlins attendance has been almost as bad over the years when they're good too.

I'm glad to know Adrian Peterson feels the same way about himself as I do.

I don't know if this is sad or funny, but the last line in the whole story is my favorite. Read it all though.

HBO's new series, Boardwalk Empire, has been fantastic through two weeks and season 2 has already been green-lighted. If you haven't watched it yet I suggest you start, and long-time movie director Martin Scorsese had some interesting things to say about his new show.

Baby-making potential is absolutely the most important thing to me when I meet a girl in a bar...

And finally, rather than debate the AL MVP or Cy Young like some hack, GQ covered the 18 most memorable moments from this season.